Harrison Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Aldesta Hotel Group Ltd.
POSITION TITLE: DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
DEPARTMENT: HUMAN RESOURCES
REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER
LAST UPDATED: Nov. 30, 2022
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Human Resources functions as the resort’s Strategic Human Resources Business Partner providing full-cycle professional human resources expertise to all Operations Departments. As a member of the resort’s Management team, develops and implements Human Resources Business Plans that align with overall resort and brand strategies to deliver superior HR services that enable resort departments to meet their business goals and provide a return on investment to the partners/stakeholders.
Responsible for developing or coordinating all Human Resources programs within the resort in accordance with provincial legislation, corporate initiatives and Collective Agreements under the direction of the Resort General Manager and Corporate Offices.
Provides the Human Resources department with the necessary support and direction for the successful completion of daily activities and responsibilities.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Director of Human Resources is directly responsible and accountable for full-cycle recruiting including overseeing performance management initiatives, compensation structure and review, promotions or disciplinary actions, including termination if necessary. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for preparing and monitoring an overall HR plan and budget. As the Senior HR expert, the incumbent makes recommendations that effect operating departments’ decisions on hiring, discipline, terminations, HR policies/procedures, legislation, and collective agreements.
Lateral relationship with the General Manager to ensure efficient communication to and from resort personnel in an effort to foster positive employee and community relations.
Liaise with all legislative, regulatory and appropriate educational bodies to exchange information on resort personnel and for direction in the administration of relevant Human Resources policies and procedures, programs and/or initiatives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops the HR business plans/budgets/strategies/goals to support overall operational plans/goals.
- Hires, manages and coaches an HR team with responsibilities to provide the appropriate support, consultation and direction to all levels of management.
- Develops and executes strategies to attract, hire and retain a diverse and capable hourly, salaried, and management workforce in a cost effective and efficient manner to meet the business needs of the operation, while ensuring compliance with all legislation, policies and procedures, and collective agreements.
- Maintains and makes recommendations on a total compensation program that includes benefits, salaries, performance management, bonus, succession planning, rewards and recognition that balances the needs of the business with the ability to attract and retain the best talent and rewards performance excellence.
- Oversees, develops and facilitates the training of corporate and industry training programs.
- Coaches operations management/supervisory associates to consistently apply policies/procedures (e.g. disciplinary action) and comply with all employment/human rights legislation to protect the organization from any negative results.
- Develops and administers policies and procedures to ensure associates are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures Exit Interviews are held confidentially in HR, and regular reports generated for the General Manager.
- Utilizing an “open door” policy to address associate problems/concerns in a timely manner, and ensures that issues are brought to the attention of senior management as necessary.
- Maintains confidential associate files re: health issues and WorksSafeBC claims. Coordinates education on a variety of health and safety issues (WHMIS, WorkSafeBC, etc.).
- Ensures compliance with WorkSafeBC. Corresponds directly with WorkSafeBC concerning all claims, reviews and/or appeals.
- Ensures compliance of ongoing HRIS data entry of new hire sign-on and associate changes documentation, and generating HR reports (e.g. turnover, attendance, etc.). Maintains confidential associate personnel files, recruitment files, and general files.
- Acts as the resort representative when dealing with any union activity; responds to grievances and participates in collective agreement negotiations.
- Other duties assigned by the General Manager or that may be necessary in order to meet and exceed organizational business goals.
- Must be able to deal with stress resulting from the need to manage within legislative, budgetary and time constraints on a regular basis.
- Some travel is required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Ø University degree in HR, Business, or related field required or equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Ø CHRP designation preferred or a candidate working toward this designation.
Ø Previous experience working in a unionized environment required.
Ø Competency in Microsoft Office and HRIS programs.
Ø Superior communications skills (written and verbal) required.
Ø Experience with preparing and monitoring an HR budget an asset.
Ø Knowledge of payroll and benefits a definite asset.
Ø First Aid Level 3 certification is an asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $75,000.00-$83,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- HARRISON HOT SPRINGS, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Union: 7 years (preferred)
- Resort / Hotel Management: 5 years (preferred)
- Human resources Management: 5 years (preferred)
- Budgeting: 3 years (preferred)
- Payroll: 2 years (preferred)
- CHRP designation (preferred)
- First Aid Certification (preferred)
Work Location: One location